Allestree Park is exceptionally scenic, though rather hilly, and comprises a mixture of woodland, open parkland, a lake, a hall and a golf course. The park dates from the end of the 18th century when the present hall, a Grade II listed building, was built.
By the 1930’s, after a succession of owners, a developer who had hoped to build 2000 houses and a golf course bought the land and the hall. The golf course and some houses on the edge of the park, were in place at the start of the Second World War. The army then requisitioned the park and hall. After the war, ownership passed to Derby Corporation, now the City Council, who continue to preserve the park for the people of Derby.
The lake is split into two parts and is very popular with anglers. The path around it is easily negotiated and signposts point out places of interest. Wildlife is abundant. A one and a half mile long nature trail follows an easy, reasonably flat, route around the lower part of the park, including the lakeshore. A leaflet giving details of the trail can be obtained from the Council House, or tourist information centre.
Next to the hall is a pets corner and includes a fishpond, rabbits, ducks, peacocks and Jacobs sheep. The house contains a golf shop and a bar, the 19th hole of the golf course.